American Airlines Delayed or Cancelled Flight Compensation and Refund
Even major airlines can make mistakes, leaving passengers to suffer the consequences. You might book a flight and arrive at the airport to discover unexpected American Airlines cancellations or a flight delay. And you might not know what to do next.
You may have questions, like are you entitled to an American Airlines refund or flight cancellation compensation, for example? Well, the truth is that you could be eligible for a full American Airlines ticket refund, along with American Airlines flight delay compensation potentially reaching $700 (€600).
AirAdvisor is ready to help you get American Airlines delayed flight compensation, and we'll only get paid if you get paid. This article will thoroughly explain American Airlines flight delay compensation and American Airlines cancelled flight policy.
American Airlines Delay Compensation and Cancelled Flight Compensation
Everyone hopes that their flights will be on time, without any unnecessary delays or issues. However, every day, people have to deal with unexpected delays. It could happen to you, too. You might get to the airport to see an American Airlines delayed flight. Your flight could also be cancelled, or one of your parties might get denied boarding.
If this happens, you may be wondering about how to make American Airlines complaints and start an American Airlines refund request. You might also wonder how to get a refund from American Airlines and think about American Airlines compensation. Well, you could make a claim for up to $700 (€600) from the carrier, and AirAdvisor can assist you.
We make it as easy as A, B, C to make an American Airlines claim and get the American Airlines reimbursement you deserve. We’ll help you through the whole process, and you don’t need to worry about losing money or committing to anything, as we only get paid if we actually succeed in making your claim. In other words, if you don’t get paid, then neither do we.
What Are My Passenger Rights in Case My American Airlines Flight Was Cancelled or Delayed?
EU law states that every flight passenger is entitled to the following:
- Up to $700 (€600) in American Airlines EU compensation
- Claim on any flight from the last 36 months (3 years)
- Applies to cancellations, overbooking, and American Airlines flight delayed for 3 hours or more
American Airlines refund status can vary depending on the location of the flight you're taking. This is a US airline, with flights all over the globe. That means that the rules can be different from place to place. However, as long as you’re departing from an EU (excluding Switzerland) airport, or arriving in the EU for a connection, you should still be eligible for claim compensation with American Airlines.
If you have an issue in the US, like being denied boarding or having a tarmac delay of three hours or more, you could also be entitled to make a claim. Usually, any delays in excess of three hours will result in compensation eligibility, unless there are specific factors or extraordinary circumstances involved somehow.
What to Do if Flight Is Delayed American Airlines and What if American Airlines Cancels My Flight?
- Find a desk at the airport where you can speak with the staff to learn more about the reason behind the delay/cancellation.
- Gather physical evidence of the situation, like flight tickets, receipts, photos, etc. that you can use to claim American Airlines flight cancellation compensation.
- If your American Airlines flight is delayed overnight, speak with staff about food and accommodation, as this should be provided.
- Utilise our Compensation Calculator to check your eligibility for EU flight delay compensation with American Airlines or refund for delayed flight.
Airline Delay Compensation American Airlines
As a passenger, American Airline delay compensation rules state that you can make a compensation claim in these situations:
- Delays - American Airlines delay refund policy applies for flights with 3+ hour delays.
- Cancellations - American Airlines flight cancellation policy entitles you to a refund or American Airlines cancelled flight compensation if your flight is cancelled and you are informed less than 14 days before departure.
- Denied Boarding due to Overbooking - You could also make a claim, according to American Airlines compensation policy, in situations where you are refused access due to overbooking.
- Missed Connection - If you had missed a connecting flight with American Airlines, you could claim American Airlines delayed flight missed connection compensation.
American Airlines Flight Cancellations: When Are They Liable?
In most cases, you'll be able to make an American Airlines delayed flight compensation claim and get some reimbursement for delays after enduring a delay or cancellation, in accordance with your American Airlines passenger rights. However, there are some situations and circumstances in which the carrier can evade paying out.
In situations where there are “extraordinary circumstances”, like extreme weather conditions or an incident at the airport, the airline might not have to pay out American Airlines compensation for delayed flights in the USA or EU. Fortunately, in most cases, getting AA delay compensation is quite simple, and you are entitled to other benefits if your flight is cancelled or delayed, too.
The airline should try to get you booked on another available flight for no extra charge. You can choose to accept this or pick another alternate flight. You can also reject the other flights entirely and ask for full American Airlines reimbursement for a cancelled flight, instead.
So, even though there are certain situations in which AA can avoid American Airlines flight compensation, you are always entitled to some sort of refund, credit, alternative booking, or other payment. And in most cases, you will be able to claim American Airlines compensation for flight cancellation of up to $700 (€600) per member in your party.
American Airlines Flight Refund Policy
It’s important to differentiate between refunds and compensation. One is a payment to compensate for your wasted time and the inconveniences associated with delays, while the other is a direct refund for a service that was not provided to you.
In some cases, you may be eligible for both of these payments: an American Airlines delay refund or missed flight refund, plus flight cancellation compensation US/EU.
If cancellation happens, the carrier will try to get you on a similar flight. But if that isn’t possible, you should be able to get a full refund. You can also request compensation unless the airline makes a claim of extraordinary circumstances.
If extraordinary circumstances are present, such as bad storms or unexpected incidents at the airport, you might not get compensation, but you can still apply for a ticket refund.
Types of ticket refunds: Ticket refunds can take the form of direct cash payments to your account or credit that you can use to pay for a future flight. Some airlines can also try to offer you vouchers, but you aren’t obligated to accept them. We strongly recommend rejecting them, due to the fact that they can expire and have limiting terms and conditions.
American Airlines Flight Delay Compensation
Delays happen at airports all the time. If this happens to you with an AA flight at an EU airport, EU Regulation 261 comes into play. This regulation protects you in situations where your flight is cancelled or has a delay of 3+ hours, giving you the right to compensation.
Exceptions: You may not be able to claim compensation from American Airlines in certain rare situations involving extraordinary circumstances, like airport disruption or very bad weather conditions.
Delta Flight 261 Compensation Claim: How Much Can You Get?
EU 261 states that ticket holders of cancelled or delayed flights could get:
- All flights under 1,500km - Up to €250 ($300) per person
- Internal flights over 1,500km - Up to €400 ($500) per person
- Non-internal EU flights between 1,500 and 3,500km - Up to €400 ($500) per person
- International flights over 3,500km - Up to €600 ($700) per person
Our compensation calculator can help you get the most accurate information on your AA com compensation and how to get compensation from American Airlines with EU261.
Common Questions: Compensation Claims and Refunds
How do I get a refund from American Airlines?
You can make a claim with the carrier for a refund if they cancelled your flight and didn’t book you on another one, and you can also make a claim for compensation in cases of delays and cancellations, too.
Can I get a refund from American Airlines?
Yes, as long as there are no special circumstances that were out of the airline's control, like an airport fire or a bad storm grounding flights. However, trying to get a refund or compensation on your own can be a challenge. We can help with that. AirAdvisor has years of experience in aviation law and negotiating with airlines.
Why Should I Entrust My Claim to AirAdvisor?
- Years of experience
- Over 25,000 satisfied customers
- 4.6 rating in customer service
- Service available in 10 different languages
- An international team of travel and legal experts
- Use our compensation verification tool to learn more
How to get a refund from American Airlines?
To get a full refund, you’ll have to speak with the airline. Refunds are usually issued when flights are not actually taken. For example, if the flight is fully cancelled or you were denied boarding and no other suitable flight could be found. If you're looking for EU flight delay compensation from American Airlines or American Airlines mechanical delay compensation, AirAdvisor can help.
How to claim compensation from American Airlines?
According to American Airlines cancellation refund policy, you can make an American Airlines claim for cancelled flight in situations where your flight was cancelled or delayed and you weren't given advance warning. AirAdvisor can help with this. Use our calculator to get started. We work on a no-win, no-fee basis, so you won't risk anything when working with us. Plus, you can count on AirAdvisor to provide the service you require, as clients rank our service at 4.6/5.
Why is American Airlines flight delayed?
Flights can be delayed for various reasons. You might have an American Airlines flight delayed for 4 hours due to bad weather, aircraft technical issues, air traffic control problems, and so on.
What is the Time Limit for Compensation Claims?
You have three whole years to fill in your American Airlines compensation claim form and file an American Airlines delayed flight complaint.
How to Claim Compensation for AA Flight Delays Cancellations?
EU 261 Compensation Claim American Airlines: How to Do it?
- Read through our EU 261 explainer to learn more about your rights as a passenger
- Use our flight delay checker to learn more about your eligibility
- Read how to write a flight delay complaint letter and use our template to create your own
- If the airline refuses to hear your claim, get in touch with our team. We'll be happy to help!
About The Airline
- Founded in 1930
- The world's biggest airline in terms of fleet size and passengers carried
- Serves approximately 350 destinations in 50+ countries
- On-time performance of approximately 85%, which is one of the best on-time performances of a major airline (according to industry data provided by Information Design)
- Cancellation rate of 2.4%, slightly higher than the average of around 2% (based on Bureau of Transportation statistics)
- Customer satisfaction score of 75, compared to the average of 76 (based on Statista reports)
- AAdvantage Program is available for AA passengers, allowing members to earn points when flying or paying for goods and services with 1,000+ partners. Use points to pay for upgrades and flights.
- American Airlines credit cards allow holders to earn bonus miles and enjoy extra bonuses like free checked baggage.