Your Passenger Rights in Case of an Emirates Cancellation or Delay
Your passenger rights differ from region to region. In some parts of the world, you might have almost no rights, while in others, like Europe, you could even be eligible for flight compensation in case of disruptions.
Since we are experts in claiming EU and UK flight compensation, we will focus on your rights for these 2 regions.
What Emirates Flights are Covered for EU and UK Compensation?
Since Emirates is a UAE airline, not all flights are covered under EU and UK compensation laws. Thus, only flights that originate from a UK or EU airport are covered. For example, all Emirates flights from Paris or London, no matter the destination, are eligible for compensation.
A flight from New York, on the other hand, even if it lands in Paris or London, isn't covered because it originates from a non-EU airport.
According to the Emirates cancel flight refund policy and rules for delayed flights, if your Emirates flight is delayed or cancelled, there are a few things that can happen.
- If your flight gets cancelled or significantly delayed, you will get rebooked on the next available flight to your destination.
- If getting an alternative flight for you is not possible, you will receive a refund according to the airline’s refund policy.
- This airline does not issue travel vouchers for delayed or cancelled flights anymore.
- The airline will give vouchers for food and drink during your airport wait time if your flight delayed for more than two hours after the original scheduled time of departure. If it doesn’t you can file an Emirates refund claim for the expenses you incurred during the wait time. Remember to keep your receipts.
- If you need to spend the night at the airport waiting for your flight, the airline is obliged to pay for your accommodation. If the airline doesn’t make the necessary arrangements, you can file an Emirates refund claim to get your accommodation costs back.
Apart from the rights mentioned above,the EU law states that as a passenger, you are also entitled to the following:
- Up to €600 in compensation
- A compensation for a flight delayed for more than 3 hours, cancelled, or overbooked
- The right to claim on flights up to six years after they were scheduled
Emirates Flight Compensation Claims
You can claim compensation from this airline in the following situations:
- Delays - If your flight or alternative flight has a delay of 3 hours or more, you are eligible for a flight delay compensation after filing an Emirates claim.
- Cancellations - If your flight is cancelled and the airline didn’t let you know more than 14 days before the departure date, in accordance with Emirates flight cancellation rules.
- Denied Boarding due to an Overbooked Flight - If you cannot board your flight because of accidental overbooking, you can receive an Emirates denied boarding compensation.
- Missed Connection - If you miss a flight because of delays or cancellations caused by the airline, you’re also entitled to an Emirates missed flight refund.
Emirates Flight Delay Compensation Claim
Flight delays can be frustrating and time-consuming, particularly for distracted passengers who have important business meetings or social events to attend.
The good news is that according to EU Regulation 261/2004 (EC 261), you may be eligible for up to €600 in Emirates flight delay compensation.
To get compensation, your flight needs to be at least 3 hours late at the final destination. The total amount depends on the length of the flight.
Besides the financial compensation, EU and UK law grant you additional rights, like free drinks, meals, and even accommodation if your flight is delayed overnight.
To learn more, check out our guide on delayed flight compensation.
And remember, AirAdvisor is here to help you with your claim. Thanks to our Compensation Calculator, you can figure out if your flight is eligible for a refund or compensation and if so, you can also calculate its amount. To file your Emirates complaints, submit your claim with AirAdvisor. We will take care of your Emirates compensation claim form for Emirates delayed or cancelled flights.
Emirates Compensation for Cancellation
Dealing with an Emirates cancelled flight at the airport can be challenging. Without a doubt, or cancelled flights can cost you and your travel companions not only stress but also money and time. To go ahead with your trip, you may need to incur extra costs.
So, you may be asking yourself, “How do I claim compensation from Emirates?” Let’s answer that question, again, in case this happens in the EU or UK.
For example, for all Emirates to Dubai flights cancelled, passengers are still eligible for an Emirates flight compensation as long as the flight was scheduled to depart from an airport in the EU. If that’s the case, you can submit an Emirates claim for a cancelled flight.
Thus, in case of a cancelled flight from an EU or UK airport, you have the right to either a refund or a ticket on the next available flight. And, depending on when the new flight lands compared to the original one, financial compensation is similar to the one offered for delays.
To find out all your rights and financial compensation claims you can make in case of a flight cancellation, read our dedicated guide.
Emirates Denied Boarding Compensation
Lastly, you might find yourself in a situation where the airline staff won't let you board the airplane because the flight is overbooked.
If this happens to you in EU or UK, again, you are protected by the same laws stated previously.
In case you are denied boarding, the airline must either give you a refund or a ticket on a replacement flight, as well as financial compensation.
Read our guide on denied boarding compensation to learn more.
Is Your Emirates Flight Delayed or Cancelled? Here’s What You Should Do
In case you find yourself in such an unfortunate event, you need to take action immediately to increase your chances of a successful compensation claim. Here are the steps you should follow:
- In case of a delayed, cancelled, or overbooked flight, get in touch with the airline representatives to find out more details about the situation. They will also give you the necessary guidance for the next steps you should take.
- If you plan on making an Emirates claim for delayed flight, keep all your tickets, boarding passes, and receipts. This will help you support your claim.
- You are eligible for a food and drink voucher if your airline keeps you waiting at the airport. Don’t forget to claim it.
- You can check your Emirates flight cancellation compensation with our Compensation Calculator and learn how to claim flight delay compensation from Emirates.
Emirates Flight Cancellations: Can They Avoid Liability?
In some cases, airlines may not be liable for the cancellations or delays of their flights. Although, in most cases, flight disruptions happen due to reasons within the airline’s control, sometimes that’s not the case. An airline could avoid liability for a delayed or cancelled flight if there were “extraordinary circumstances” surrounding it. These circumstances included things out of the airline’s control, such as bad weather or unexpected incidents at the airport. In that case, you won’t be able to receive your flight compensation.
However, even in these rare cases, the airline is still obligated to put you on an alternative flight and comply with your passenger rights, such as issuing a voucher for food and drink as long as you’re waiting at the airport or paying for your overnight accommodation if your alternative flight leaves the following day.
How Much Can You Receive for an Emirates Flight 261 Compensation Claim?
According to the EU 261 regulation, if your flight gets delayed or cancelled you are eligible for the following compensation:
- All flights under 1,500km - Up to €250 per person
- Flights ranging from 1,500 to 3,500km - Up to €400 per person
- Flights longer than 3,500km - Up to €600 per person
To see exactly what compensation amount you can receive, use our Compensation Calculator.
FAQs: Compensation Claims and Refunds
How to Claim Compensation for Delayed or Cancelled Emirates Flights?
To figure out whether your flight is eligible for compensation, use our Compensation Calculator. It will also help you see how much money you can receive from your compensation claim. AirAdvisor is an entirely risk-free company, as we only get paid if you receive your compensation. Therefore, you can safely file your claim with us! Our clients trust us and rank our service at 4.6 out of 5.
Can I get a refund from Emirates?
Getting a refund from Emirates Airline can seem like an overwhelming process. However, as a passenger, you do not need to know exactly what to do to obtain your Emirates cancellation refund. You also do not need to hire a lawyer! Getting your compensation for a delayed or cancelled flight is precisely what AirAdvisor can help you with. We have significant experience in this field and have been helping our customers get their refunds for a long time.
Why should I entrust my claim to AirAdvisor?
- 7 years of experience
- More than 230,000 customers from 52 countries already trust us
- 4.6 Rating based on 13,286 customer reviews
- 13 languages
- International team of lawyers and travel lovers
- In order to find out if Emirates owes you compensation, use our compensation verification tool.
What happens if I miss my connecting flight due to Emirates flight disruption?
Sometimes, you can miss a connecting flight due to Emirates flight delays, cancellations, or even being denied boarding due to an overbooked flight. In that case, you are eligible for compensation, as long as your delayed or cancelled flight was departing from the EU.
How to file the EU 261 compensation claim?
- To learn more about your passenger rights, read our EU 261 Compensation explainer to know about your passenger rights.
- Check the eligibility for your flight and how much compensation you can receive for it using our flight delay checker.
- Read how to write a flight delay complaint letter, and feel free to use the template provided.
- If the airline rejects or ignores your claim, submit your claim with us and we’ll be happy to help you.
How can I find out about any Emirates flights cancelled today?
You can use our flight compensation checkers to see what flights have been delayed or cancelled recently. Read our recommendations on how to use them.
- Established in 1985 in Dubai, UAE, which is currently its biggest operating hub.
- The largest air carrier in the Middle East and one of the largest airlines in the world.
- Serves over 161 destinations across six continents.
- Owns 254 aircraft and operates over 500 flights per day.
- The largest operator of the Airbus A380 aircraft type.
- Employs approximately 10,785 cabin crew members from more than 120 countries, speaking over 80 languages.
- Emirates frequent flyer program called Skywards has over 5.72 million members.