United Airlines Delayed or Cancelled Flight Compensation and Refund
It's not nice to get to the airport and find that you're dealing with United Airlines delays or United Airlines cancellations that could ruin your entire trip. However, even though you may not be able to fly at the time you hoped, you can still get some United compensation to balance out the frustration and inconvenience of the situation.
AirAdvisor can help you obtain flight delay compensation United Airlines of up to 600 euros per passenger, and we’ll only get paid if you get paid, so there’s no risk at all in working with us. Read on to learn more about United Airlines flight delay compensation and how to get your United Airlines refund, too.
United Airlines Compensation and Refund
It’s the kind of situation that nobody wants to experience: you’ve booked your flight and made it to the airport, only to find out that your flight is delayed, cancelled, or has been overbooked. Sadly, United Airlines flight delays do happen all the time, for various reasons.
Fortunately, you don't have to simply accept a United flight delayed 3 hours or United Airlines mechanical issues without any kind of compensation. You can file a United Airlines claim or write a delay letter United and obtain United compensation. The vast majority of these claims re successful, and AirAdvisor makes it easy to file United Airlines claims and receive reimbursement United Airlines.
If you choose us to help negotiate your claim, we can help you receive up to €600 from the airline, per passenger. We’ll take a small commission from the final payout as our fee, but we only get paid if you get paid, so you can work with the AirAdvisor team in total confidence.
What Are My Passenger Rights in Case my United Airlines Flight Was Cancelled or Delayed?
This is a US carrier, but it operates flights all around the world. If your flight departs from an EU (excluding Switzerland) airport or connects in Europe, you have the following rights, under EU law:
- Claim up to €600 in flight delay United Airlines compensation, regardless of the cost of your ticket
- A three-year period after the flight in which you can fill out a United Airlines claim form
- Covers United Airlines flight cancellations, United Airlines delayed flight, overbooking issues, and missed connections
Remember that these rules only apply for flights leaving Europe or connecting in Europe. The same rules won’t necessarily be enforced on flights in other countries. In the US, for example, if you’re taking a domestic flight with this carrier, you may have slightly different rights. However, you can still usually claim United Airlines domestic flight delay compensation in situations where you have a tarmac delay of 3+ hours. Or if you are refused boarding due to overbooking. The table below can help you see which flights are covered and which are not.
Covered by EU 261?
From European airport (excluding Swiss)
Connecting in Europe (excluding Swiss)
From the US
From other parts of the world with no connections in Europe
Disrupted flight? You might have a right to compensation - up to $700Check Your Flight
What Should I Do in Case of Cancellations or a United Airlines Delayed Flight?
- Talk with staff at the airport to find out what’s going on with your United Airlines flight delay.
- Collect evidence to help when it comes to filling out your United Airlines claim form delayed flight.
- Ask for essentials like food and water at the airport if you are delayed for several hours.
- Use our online Compensation Calculator to see what kind of United Airlines cancellation compensation or flight delay United compensation you could get.
United Airlines Flight Compensation Claims
So, when are you entitled to United Airlines compensation? Well, you can claim United Airlines passenger compensation in any of these situations:
- Delays - United Airlines travel delay compensation can be paid out for delays of 3+ hours, according to United Airlines compensation policy for flight delays.
- Cancellations - You can file a United compensation claim or United Airlines claim for cancelled flight if your flight is cancelled within 14 days of departure, as outlined in United Airlines refund policy.
- Denied Boarding due to Overbooking - You may also obtain United com compensation if you are denied access to the flight because of overbooking.
- Missed Connection - You can get a United Airlines missed flight refund for missed connections, too.
United Airlines Flight Cancellations: When Are They Liable?
There are some situations in which this airline may try to get out of having to pay its passengers United Airlines flight cancellation compensation or delayed flight United Airlines compensation. For example, the company might try to escape liability if a flight is cancelled due to factors that are deemed to be beyond its control, such as airport disruptions or extreme weather conditions.
These kinds of scenarios are classed as "extraordinary circumstances" and can make it harder for you to file a successful United flight delay claim to get your EU flight delay compensation United.
In addition, you may not be eligible for United Airlines flight compensation or United flight delay compensation US if the company is able to get you booked on a similar flight to minimize the amount of delay and inconvenience you experience.
Usually, if a flight gets delayed or cancelled, the carrier will try to get you booked on a similar flight, leaving as soon as possible. If they are successful and you accept the alteration, and if you arrive at your destination less than 3 hours later than originally scheduled, the carrier won’t be liable for any compensation.
Therefore, we can see that there are some situations in which the airline may avoid having to pay United Airlines late flight compensation or United Air compensation of any kind. However, there are also many situations in which they are unable to avoid paying out for United Airlines flight problems.
EU 261 Regulation clearly states that you are entitled to either a refund or an alternative flight in cases where flights are cancelled. You can also receive compensation for flights that are delayed 3 hours or longer. Overbooked flight compensation United may also be paid out in situations of overbooking. AirAdvisor can help you get the compensation you deserve.
United Airlines Flight Refund Policy
In addition to compensation, you could be entitled to a full flight refund for your United Airlines missed flight. Refunds are paid out when flights are cancelled or if passengers are refused boarding because of overbooking on the flight.
Typically, a refund is seen as a last resort. If a flight gets cancelled, the carrier will first offer to book you on another alternative flight, arriving at a similar time in the same destination. You have the right to accept this offer or pick another flight that works for you.
You can also opt for a ticket refund if you cannot take any other flight or if the carrier can’t find a suitable flight for you. This may be paid out in cash, credit, or a voucher. In AirAdvisor’s view, it’s always best to refuse vouchers, as they can expire before you have time to use them.
United Airlines Flight Delay Compensation
Carriers like this one try to keep as many of their flights on time as possible, but delays do happen all the time. If a delay occurs on a European flight, EU Regulation 261, also known as EU 261 (read: EU 261 Compensation Explained), offers protection to passengers.
Because of this regulation, you can be eligible for up to 600 euros in compensation if your flight arrives 3+ hours later than it was supposed to.
Exceptions: You may not be able to make a United Airlines claim for delayed flight and receive United com delay compensation in cases of extraordinary circumstances. This may include extreme weather or problems at the airport that are beyond the carrier’s control.
United Flight 261 Compensation Claim: How Much Can You Get?
According to EU 261, you could be entitled to the following:
- All flights under 1,500km - Up to €250 per person
- Internal flights over 1,500km - Up to €400 per person
- Non-internal EU flights between 1,500 and 3,500km - Up to €400 per person
- International flights over 3,500km - Up to €600 per person
The AirAdvisor compensation calculator can help you find out exactly how much you could get.
Common Questions: Compensation Claims and Refunds
How to ask for compensation from United Airlines?
AirAdvisor can help you claim compensation from this carrier. Use our calculator to start the process and speak with the AirAdvisor team to find out more about getting your United Airlines cancel flight refund or United Airlines ticket refund.
Why was my flight cancelled United?
There are various reasons why a flight might be cancelled. It could be caused by mechanical issues, weather conditions, worker strikes, traffic problems, and so on. Speak with the staff or check the airline’s online resources for a United statement of delay before you make a United Airlines claim for delayed flight.
What is the Time Limit for Compensation Claims?
You can request compensation from this airline for any flight as far back as three (3) years ago.
How to Claim Compensation for United Airlines Flight Delays Cancellations?
To get started with your claim, load up our compensation calculator. You can use the calculator to quickly (and for free) find out how much you could claim. AirAdvisor works on a no-win, no-fee basis, so we only get paid if we successfully make your claim.
How do I get a refund from United Airlines?
Getting refunds from airlines for United Airlines cancelled flights can be complicated, especially if you try to do it alone. AirAdvisor can help. With years of experience and thousands of satisfied customers, we’re experts in dealing with airlines and getting payouts for the people we work for.
Why Should I Entrust My Claim to AirAdvisor?
- Many years of experience
- More than 30,000 satisfied customers across the world
- 4.6 rating for customer service
- 10 languages
- An expert team of travel and legal experts
- Use our compensation verification tool to learn more
Does United compensate for delayed flights?
Yes, in both the EU and the US, you can get compensation for flights that are delayed for over three hours.
EU 261 Compensation Claim United Airlines: How to Do it?
- Read through the EU 261 guide to find out more about your rights as a passenger
- Use our flight delay checker to see if you’re eligible for compensation (and the amount)
- Read about how to write a flight delay complaint letter and feel free to use our template
- If the airline fails to respond, get in touch with our team for expert assistance
About United Airlines
- Founded in 1931
- The third biggest airline in the world in terms of fleet size and number of routes
- A fleet size of 854 aircraft
- Serves 342 destinations
- On-time performance of approximately 84%, which is one of the best on-time performances of a major airline according to Cirium OTP data
- Cancellation rate of 1.31%, compared to the average of around 2% according to U.S. Department of Transportation
- Customer satisfaction score of 75, compared to the average of 76 based on Statista “American customer satisfaction index scores for airlines in the United States from 1995 to 2021”
- MileagePlus reward program allows passengers to earn miles that never expire in a variety of ways and use them for free flights and rewards, with enough miles to pay for a free flight after approximately 15 trips